Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms

Read/Write Web was an unfamiliar term up until reading these chapters, and as of now, I can see how the dream of Bernes-Lee is coming to fruition through forms and forums of communications such as blogs.  The Web has been used as a source to gain information, but is now transforming daily as a way to share information even for those who may not consider themselves technologically savvy.  Tools like Blogs and Wikis open up a new door for individuals on the Read/Write Web, as well as for education.
It is stated time and time again throughout the first two chapters that education and educators are slow to react to this technological advancement, which may be true in most cases; however, as an educator I'd like to argue that perhaps some of this has been due to our misunderstanding of or lack of understanding of the implications a blog carries both positively and negatively (among other factors as well, of course).  I clearly have not been an active blogger up to this point and part of the reason why is because I have had no use for it, or so I thought.  However, after completing the reading it is clear to see that a blog can transform a classroom for students, teachers, and parents alike.  The idea that a classroom in Connecticut can collaborate with an audience all over the world is mind blowing, yet the educational gain is extraordinary.  The idea that primary sources can be brought easily in the "classroom" (I'm using that term to include the blog), as well as authors, scientists, and other students can only provide students with a unique learning experience.
Safety is the largest concern I would have, but as I read I realized that I hate to share personal information online.  For example I have avoided Twitter, have an inactive account on Facebook, and struggled to write anything in this blog's profile about my personal life, yet I preach that online banking is the way to go!  Talk about providing access to my life.  However, after completing these chapters it is clear that safety is in the hands of the blogger and that this is going to be an important part of students' lives from here on out.  So it is time to get over the fear and learn how to protect ourselves, our blogs and our students.  I think what I read that was most powerful was teachers cannot protect students, but instead provide them with the tools so that when faced with inappropriate content, "they have a choice as how to respond when faced with such a situation." (Richardson, 2010).
It is clear that blogs can have a place in all classrooms, it is just a matter of how they are used and managed.  For example, I have been trying to figure out how to utilize a blog in a Kindergarten classroom.  And it is clear that I will have to be creative and that I will need parent support, but in the least it will provide access to important information in order to keep parents involved in our learning and better able to support their children at home.  (No more newsletters, no more copying, no more stuffing folders...a dream come true!)
Richardson summed it up when he stated that,
"Blogging can teach critical reading and writing skills, and it can lead to greater information management skills.  I can help student become much more media and information literate by clarifying the choices they make about the content they write about, it can teach them about how networks function--both human and computer--and it can teach the essential skill of collaboration." (p. 37, 2010)



No comments:

Post a Comment